Thursday, July 16, 2009

Best of Times...




As I prepare to post for the past 24 hours, I find myself at somewhat of a loss for words. (Yes, that is possible for me) The primary thought that runs through my head is the Charles Dickens line: "It was the best of times, it was the worst of times".

The best of times would begin Tuesday morning as we each started on our new adventure with Mommy working. Yes, despite the reflux rampage, I would include that in the best of times. The best of times would cycle through Tuesday and into Wednesday.

The worst of times actually began around 3:00pm Wednesday and continued until 8:000pm Thursday evening. I will explain.

It seems the introduction of formula caused Baby Bella to become seriously constipated. We had observed a change in diaper duty but we had been cautioned that that was a possibility so no undue worry seemed appropriate - until Wednesday at 3:00pm.

Baby Bella began to scream at 3:00pm and continued to scream until 10:00pm. This was a gut wrenching scream accompanied by knees being drawn up to the chest. She was clearly in pain and miserable. I phoned the pediatrician who said not to worry, this too shall pass. (pun intended).

Six hours later I could take no more - it wasn't that the crying was on my nerves, it was just that I couldn't stand to see her in pain any longer. It had now been a full 24 hours since she messed her diaper. Deborah and I deliberated and decided to add some Karo syrup to her bottle - this seemed to work for Skyler and Shina when they were babies. It did seem to calm her down so that she could go to sleep but it didn't result in any tangible relief.

Baby Bella finally went to sleep and woke up again at 2:30am, 4:30am, and 5:30am. She was just miserable.

Long story short, relief did not come until 8:00pm this evening. Several people told us to check her temperature with an rectal thermometer and that would start things flowing. And flow they did - it was like a sewage treatment plant in the nursery. (sorry folks, just keeping it real here). I was never so glad to see feces in all my life.

If your wondering if I changed professions - no. Mommy forced me join her for the thermometer procedure so I decided to dig out my Halloween costume and add some comedy to the situation. Mommy and Skyler were laughing hysterically - and we all needed a laugh. (the picture is being added to the blog over my objections).

The pictures belie the difficulty of the day although we did have some cute moments. Baby Bella has started trying to hold her bottle during formula feedings. Her favorite trick is to hold one our fingers while we hold the bottle. (Props to Big Brother for taking the bottle pictures. A blogger in training).

No comments:

Post a Comment