Never a good sign when your laying in the Vanderbilt ER with a neck brace, boots on and full of Fentanyl. But here I am.
An hour into our trail ride, my horse spooked and bucked me off. I didn't last the 8 seconds and landed hard on my back. Back first, hips second, feet and head last. The pain was immediate and intense. The first department dispatched a 4x4 with a back board to get me off the trail. Fortunately, they administered fentanyl while I was laying on the trail, before they moved me. Still, a difficult transition and ride to Vanderbilt via ambulance.
I get to go home for now. I'll be back at the Bone & Joint Clinic on Monday for an MRI and reevaluation by the Surgeon that put the plate and screws in my neck 18 years ago. Hoping for confirmation there - but mostly hoping the pain subsides for tonight. I've had 4 rounds of fentanyl and I'm concerned what happens when I get home.
Still, I know. These kinds of accidents don't usually end this well. I am very blessed. Mad love and respect to Dennis and Peter who took care of me until paramedics could find us. Then they secured the horses for safety.


I knew of this accident however, never was told of the seriousness that was here. Thankful you are OK Terry.
ReplyDelete