Thursday, June 27, 2013

Word Perfect

This is such a fun age for language.  At four, Bella's vocabulary is pretty advanced in terms of number of words she can use correctly. She understands the meaning and can use words in context.  It's just the articulation that gets her and keeps me smiling.

Here are just a few:

Conditioner  - she says "ditioner"
Convention - she says "vention"
Kentucky - she says "tucky"
Huge - she says "ooge"
November and December - are both "cember"
Milk - since her baby days is has been "MO"
Chicken - she says chickie

These last two have made their way into our family vocabulary. I have seriously asked the Cracker Barrel server for "Mo."   Yes, I got the look.

My personal favorite is "ooge"  It's just how she says it.   "Daddy, that spider was really ooge."  Or when asking for candy, "Daddy, I want a really ooge one."

And don't forget the word combinations, like "really super."  Everything is "really super" right now. Like, "Daddy that was really super fun."  "I really super like their ice cream."  "I was really super scared."

This too has found its way into my vocabulary.  I was on the phone with a customer this week and heard myself say "that's a really super good deal..."

I buried my head in my hands.  It's not supposed to be this way, I'm supposed to teach her my language - not the other way around.  I'm in serious trouble if this girl ever goes hip hop on me.

No comments:

Post a Comment