Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Bella's Dad



You get called lots of things in life, many of them regrettable. If I had to choose just one label I would say that I love being called "Dad" most of all.

Skyler and Bella's Dad - now that says it all. I have recently decided that parenting may well be the most noble of all callings. If only we had a handbook at the outset.

One of the most shocking things about parenting is that you find diapers and reflux are the easy part. You have good resources for the most talked about issues like birthing, the first night, the first shots, diaper rash, choking, and tubby time.

In the end, the most needed ingredient is faith - and you can't buy that resource at Barnes & Noble. You have to do the best you can with what you know and what you have - then summon up the faith to believe it will be enough when they leave your house for the last time.

I have lost a ton of sleep since becoming a father. I have lost sleep to monsters, wet beds, thunderstorms, bad dreams, stomach viruses, kicking, teething, colic, ....you name it. But I dare say, I have lost the most sleep to the haunting and endless question - "will it be enough?"

And the difficult part about this question is that you have to answer it over and over again - every single day. Honestly, some days you just know it wasn't. Some days you know the bar was set way too high for what you had to give.

Faith! You just have to believe - it will be enough. It will be enough. By the grace of God, it will be enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment